Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Dog Adoptions:
- How do I adopt a dog? What is the process?
Click HERE to view our dog adoption application process.
- How much does it cost to adopt a dog through Pets Alive Niagara?
The adoption fee is $400.00 ($250.00 for a dog 8 years and older). This helps to cover all vetting costs of spay/neuter, microchip, vaccinations, de-worming, heartworm testing (and treatment if necessary), food, transport, grooming, boarding and any other needs while in our care.
- Where can I find the dog adoption application?
Click HERE to view our dog adoption application form.
- Where are you located?
We are a foster-based rescue, therefore we do not have a shelter. Many volunteers work together to transport, foster, check references, do home visits and process adoptions. They are from all over the Niagara region and the greater Toronto area.
- Why do you rescue from the United States? Don’t we have dogs here to save? Yes, there are dogs everywhere to be saved, however the US has a higher number of kill shelters, more dogs in shelters, and the shelters provide a shorter time frame (if any) to find a new home for the dog. Owner surrenders can be put down immediately in some shelters.
- Can I adopt a dog if I live in the United States? No, we cannot approve dog adoptions for residents of the United States. If there are any issues with the dog after adoption, it becomes very complicated due to border regulations.
- If I don’t have a fenced yard can I still adopt?
The fenced yard requirement will depend on the size, temperament and exercise needs of the dog. You may be able to adopt without a fenced yard if you can indicate how you will supervise safe outside play.
- Why don’t you have puppies?
Rescue dogs from the United States need to be a minimum of 8 months of age before we can bring them into Canada to be adopted into loving homes.
- What is your minimum age requirement to adopt a dog from Pets Alive Niagara?
You must be 19 years or older to adopt a dog from us.
- Where can I go and see the dogs?
We do not have a shelter. We are a foster-based rescue. Meet and greets with our dogs are scheduled once reference and home checks have been completed. These are coordinated with the foster family.
- I live in an apartment, can I still apply?
Of course. Pets Alive will ensure the right dog is chosen for your particular situation.
- What are my options if it isn’t a good fit with my family?
All of our adoptions have a two week trial period to see if the dog is a good fit for your home, family and lifestyle. Within that two week period, you may return the dog within reason and receive a refund of your adoption fee less a $100 return fee.
- Have your available dogs been treated preventatively for flea/ticks?
All dogs are on a flea/tick prevention before arriving in our care. It will be your responsibility to continue your chosen method of treatment.
- Can I bring the dog to meet my own pets to see if they get along?
Proper introduction is crucial and this can be done after the application process is complete.
- How long does the application process take?
After you submit your application, one of our volunteers will be in contact with you between 2-5 days. Reference calls will be made quickly but responses from those calls sometimes take a few days.
- How come my references didn’t get any phone calls?
Please contact us to ensure we received your application.
- What are the by-laws? How many dogs can I have in my house? Are fosters exceptions to these laws?
Municipalities have different by-laws. Please check to ensure you have this information.
- I have never owned my own pet so I don’t have a veterinarian. Is that an issue?
No it is not. If you or your family had a veterinarian for a past family pet, we would be happy to call them. If you’ve never owned a pet, please indicate this on the application.
- I am a renter. Why do you need my landlord’s contact information?
We need to know that your landlord will allow dogs to live in the rental unit before approving your application. If you have a pet agreement with the landlord, then you may also send that in.
- What information would you be looking for from my references?
We will be asking about your level of responsibility, reliability, home situation, and verifying things on your application.
If you have any further questions, click HERE to complete our Contact Us form and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.